News Blog


Understanding SEND Support

Posted on: 30 May 2022

Understanding SEND Support and the Graduated approach
Children and young people with SEN all have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children and young people of the same age. These children and young people may need extra or different help from that given to others

SEN support

Any support your child gets from their school or other setting should meet their needs. If your child has SEN, they will be able to access help – called SEN support – from their Early years settings, such as nurseries or childminders Support for the under 5s), schools (see section in this guide on Support for children of school age) and further education institutions (see section in this guide on Young people Aged 16 and over in further education) such as colleges and 16-19 academies. SEN support replaces school action/school action plus (in schools) and early years action/early years action plus (in early years settings).

SEN support is part of what is known as the ‘graduated approach’ and in general should work as follows. (This approach varies in how it works depending on the age of your child work as follows. (This approach varies in how it works depending on the age of your child

This workshop will tell you how schools should be supporting your child and be working in partnership with you .This workshop will also provide you with suggestions of those different questions you should ask when visiting early years setting and schools 
Children and young people with more complex needs might instead need an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan (see section in this chapter on Education, Health and Care needs assessments and plans). EHC plans replace statements of SEN and Learning - We will cover this in another workshop 
1.    Wednesday 8th June 7-830pm
Gillian Edwards 
2.    Thursday 9th June 10-12 pm
Gillian Edwards